Well hello there poets!
Exciting news for you: [insert text here] have just got the go-ahead for a new venture!
(Yes, we know the image is a little bit ‘back to basics’, but that’s because we’re putting all our energy into the actual poetry.)
We’re looking for poems to place on the tables in Bibi’s Cafe (on North St, St Andrews, Fife). But it doesn’t matter if you’re not from St Andrews, because we’re accepting open submissions.
This is a particularly exciting venture for us, for a number of reasons. Not only is Cafe Poetry our first (though hopefully not last) event north of the border, but it is also giving emerging poets (that’s you!) the opportunity to have their work seen by potentially hundreds of people. The poems will stay on the tables at Bibi’s for up to 2 weeks, meaning that any selected poems will be seen by a wide variety of coffee-shop-goers.
The project goes live in a couple of weeks, so you have until Friday 19th October to get your poetry in.
A few notes on submitting:
- The poem(s) must be your own. Sounds obvious, we know, but thought it would be better to remind you. (Court over copyright are expensive, and we don’t have that kind of budget.)
- Poems must not be longer than 30 lines (including spaces and title). This is so that when we print them, they fit comfortably on the page. So no epics please. (Though if you have written an epic poem, we admire your dedication!)
- No rude words please! We don’t like to control what people write, so if you have a particular penchant for swearing in poems, that’s fine. But, since this particular project is a very public one, in which we have no control over our audience, we can’t accept any poems that contain swear words, or anything that seeks to be deliberately offensive. Sorry.
- Please include:
- Your poem(s). Obviously.
- Your name – unless you specifically wish to remain anonymous. In which case, make sure you make that explicit when sending in your poems.
- Brief bio, maximum of 50 words, just saying a bit about yourself and your writing. If you’re not sure what to say, try looking at our Contributor Bios for ideas. (If you wish your poem to be anonymous for whatever reason, then the bio is obviously not necessary.)
- A photo of yourself (optional). If your poem is selected, we may wish to put it on our website, along with a photo of the amazing poet his/herself.
- Please say whether we also have your permission to publish any selected poem(s) on our site. We like to reach as wide an audience as possible, so we may well also put some (or all) of the selected Cafe Poems up in the Poetry section of our website.
- Please say whether we have your permission to use any selected poem(s) in future [insert text here] projects. We will always contact you to let you know if we intend to do this. The copyright will remain with you, the author.
You can submit your poem in one of two ways: either by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred), or via the Submit section of the site. (If submitting via the site, please send your photo separately by email.)
Remember, the (very strict) deadline for this project is Friday 19th October. Enjoy writing – and good luck!